Oakland Shines was an energy program for Oakland businesses that sought to make the city's commercial community the most energy efficient in the nation. By
combining high incentives, technical support and project management assistance, Oakland Shines made advanced technologies available
to everyone. The program ended in April 2012.
Oakland Shines was designed to reduce energy costs in Oakland in two specific ways:
1) Offering high incentives for advanced technologies that covered between 30-80% of project costs, and;
2) Providing a concierge service to help take projects from development through installation. The goal of Oakland Shines was to eliminate unnecessary energy costs for businesses while transforming Oakland into the most energy efficient business district in the country.
• LED task lighting for office and retail settings
• Task lighting that reduced the need for overhead lighting
• Occupancy-sensing stairwell and garage lighting
• Wireless controls for heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems